Saturday, January 27, 2007

Ascarids Abound!

or invasion of the worms...

If you are easily grossed out, do not read this post (this is especially for you, Mother).

For the last two nights up here at work, I've been getting samples in my specimens. Meaning: I'm looking for parasite ova in fecal specimens, and I'm finding the adult worms. Last night I saw my first ever adult hookworm. Not too bad. About an inch long, pink, and dead. Tonight, however, is a different story. I got this one sample that was loaded with roundworms. These things are easily five inches long, all intertwined together in the middle of the specimen, and GROSS!!! It was next to impossible to get a small sample without getting my stick tangled on a worm. Damn vile ascarids! Reminds me of the days of Dr. Stewart's parasitology class. Wish he were still around; he'd love this. He'd have me send you here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascaris) for more info. I'm guessing all my visitors were female strictly due to the size. Ugh! Really glad I didn't meet my friends for spaghetti dinner before work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh....I love me some worm posts!! I did have spaghetti for dinner last night....it wasn't too bad...but did remind me ever so slightly of worms. Damn..my knee hurts...can we have darvocet for lunch?