Monday, January 14, 2008

Welcome to my world

So far, 2008 has not been my best friend. Things are, however, looking up!

This evil throat thing I've had going on since before Christmas has finally been solved. Yes, I did have a sinus infection at the end of 2007, but the sore throat and hoarseness never resolved. I kept calling my (normally excellent) GP, and his response was keep sucking on lozenges and drinking lots of liquid. Great. Thanks. In addition, I decided to "sweat it out" by eating everything spicy I could get my hands on--habanero salsa, spicy Vietnamese food, wasabi, etc. Nothing was working, and it was actually getting more sore and more raspy. So I finally made my appointment for today with the fancy schmancy vocal doctor. I mean, I do get paid for this voice when it's not so raspy. Would you believe that everything I was doing was exacerbating the problem? Ya, it's not even close to a throat infection. Gerd. No, really, I mean GERD. Stupid freaking acid reflux. It hasn't bothered me in at least a year. Well, it decided to rear it acidic ugly head and make my vocal cords all inflamed and swollen. Stupid GERD! Now I am on official vocal rest for 3 weeks. Yes, you read me right--THREE WEEKS!!! Gosh, don't these people know me? Luckily, I can talk reasonably often--just no screaming at Stars games or Cowboys playoff games. Oh wait, there won't be any of those. Okay, no screaming at Brett Favre viewings. =) Simply put, I'll be taking a crap load of Prilosec, Gaviscon, anti-caffeinated beverages, and non-spicy food for the next while. Joy.

2008. Bring it on. I'm ready for ya.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan says-
As a side note, did you know that spicy foods also make depression worse? Something about the spices triggers your brain chemicals to go apeshit! I'm doomed...

Anonymous said...

Whoa...that's some crazy info about spicy foods. I wonder if cultures that predominately consume spicy foods find they have problems w/ reflux and depression???