Monday, July 24, 2006

Vacation 2006 -- Day 1

RAH and I have made it to Monteagle, TN. What a loooooong couple of days!

We didn't get away until 4pm, so we only made it as far as Little Rock, AR the first night. We had a nice, boring dinner at the West End Smokehouse and Tavern followed a couple of hours in front of the boob tube before falling asleep (at a "lovely" Motel 6 on the west side of town). I think I got him hooked on House (rerun on USA at 10pm--he told me it was too early to go to sleep).

The alarm went off super early this morning, but I was already awake. Drat the motel beds! We started off the day at the Waffle House (#488). Mmmmmmmmm--hashbrowns done the right way! We hit the road about 9am and hardly hit any traffic. We made Memphis by 11am and went straight to Graceland. Whoa. Talk about being surrounded by 70s kitch! It was hilarious. I took pictures of a room that actually had green shag carpet on the ceiling! Then there were all the exhibits of his "costumes." Super garish! It was AWESOME!!!! Got finished with that as soon as we could and got back on the road. We left Memphis at 2:45 and hit Nashville by 6pm. We made excellent time! Of course, that means we got there in time for the end of rush hour traffic. Yippie. Went straight through to Manchester where we stopped at the local Cracker Barrel for dinner.

Now were are all checked into the Smokehouse in Monteagle, TN. I did drive up the mountain and head straight for the cross though. Even RAH was impressed! It's a huge white cross erected on the side of the mountain overlooking the valley below. The cross itself can be seen from all around. So moving! I love this place!

Tomorrow we're planning on doing a lot around Sewanee including visiting with my old choir director and letting RAH play the organ in the church. I'll update tomorrow night (if the next place has wifi).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.